Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Canadian DMCA delayed. yay.

so, I followed Dave's directions in the previous blog post, and wrote an email to my MP. and I was very impressed when my MP, Libby Davies, replied to me basically saying,

"The NDP is committed to working with all stakeholders to ensure that artists receive fair remuneration for their work. But we must not blindly accept restrictive copyright legislation that could be used to quash the development of new digital distribution models, sue kids who share music files and impose tollbooths on the educational use of the Internet. There are no simple answers to this very complex issue..."

So when I got an invite to join a facebook group for the same cause, I figured I wouldn't join for a couple reasons:
a) I already wrote my MP, that was bound to be more effective than some fb group; and
b) I think I'm done joining random facebook groups.

And today, I read this article. What do ya know? That article gives the impression that facebook mobs are more influential than a good old fashioned letter to your MP. Then again, there are almost 16000 members in that facebook group vs. the 2361 people that sent the form-email to their MPs.

what have I learned from this? you want something done in Canada? bully your ministers with facebook groups. stay tuned for the facebook group "Free Gas for all 1967 Chargers in Canada"

1 comment:

iTripped said...

I also emailed my MP - Hedy Fry. I got a calendar in the mail for my troubles. No mention about copyrite so maybe further harassment is in order.